This Acceptable Use Policy (“Policy”) sets forth the principles, guidelines, and requirements governing the use by customers and users (collectively, “Users”) of Copper Valley Internet’s systems, networks, services, and products (the “Services”). User’s use of the Services shall constitute acceptance of the terms of this Policy. CVI reserves the right to modify this Policy at any time, effective upon posting of the modified Policy to www.cvtc.org Users are advised to regularly review this Policy. This Policy has been created to promote the integrity, security, reliability and privacy of CVI’s Services. Any violation of this Policy may result in the suspension or termination of the Services and Products.
Uses of the Services and Products described below are prohibited under this Policy. CVI may investigate incidents involving alleged violations of this Policy and may cooperate with law enforcement and other third parties. User shall be responsible for determining what laws or regulations are applicable to its use of the Services and Products.
CVI’s Services and Products may be used only for lawful purposes and may not be used to violate any operating rule, policy, or guideline of any other online service provider or interactive service. The examples identified in the subsections below are non-exclusive and are provided, in part, for guidance purposes.
The Services may not be used to transmit, retransmit, distribute, post, or store any material, that, in the sole judgment of CVI:
- is obscene, indecent, profane, pornographic, threatening, libel, defamatory, or otherwise objectionable information of any kind, including material that restricts a civil liberty;
- is an action that restricts or inhibits any person, whether a User of the Services or Products or otherwise, in its use or enjoyment of Services or Products or any other systems, services or products; constitutes deceptive or misleading on-line marketing;
- is in violation of any rights of any person including rights protected by copyright, trade secret, patent, or other intellectual property or similar laws or regulations including, but not limited to the installation or distribution of “pirated” or other software products that are not appropriately licensed for use by the User;
- is in violation of any local, state, federal, or international law or regulation or guidelines of any other online service provider or interactive service;
- is material that violates export control laws; and furnishing false data on the signup form or contract, including fraudulent use of credit card numbers (such conduct is ground for immediate termination and may subject the offender to civil or criminal liability).
In addition, all Users are specifically prohibited from, in CVI’s sole judgment:
- utilizing multiple logins, except as permitted by CVI;
- attempting to circumvent the “idle daemon” or time charges accounting, or attempts to run programs while not logged in by any method;
- consuming excessive resources, including CPU time, memory, disk space and session time or using the resource-intensive programs that negatively impact other system users or the performance of CVI systems or networks; and
- sharing of passwords or accounts with others.
The Services and Products may not be used in connection with attempts – whether or not successful – to violate the security of any system, network, or service. Examples of system or network security violations include, without limitation, the following:
- unauthorized access to or use of data, including any attempt to circumvent user authentication or security of any host, network, or account (hacking, cracking, port scans, or flood pings);
- unauthorized monitoring of data or traffic;
- interfering with service to any user, host, system or network;
- conducting denial of service attacks;
- any attempt to disrupt service including, but not limited to, distributing or introducing viruses, worms, or other harmful software; and
- creating an active full time connection on a CVI-provided dial-up account for Internet access by using artificial means, involving software, programming, or any other method.
User may not use the Services to obtain or harvest personal information about other Users, including Internet addresses. User may not use the contact information that is made available through the Services for mass communications (whether through electronic, telephone, or direct mail) unless specifically authorized.
The Services may not be used to transmit, retransmit, or distribute by e-mail or any other method any material, that violates any condition of this Policy including, but not limited to, in the sole judgment of CVI:
- any unsolicited e-mail, whether commercial or otherwise including, but not limited to, bulk mailing of commercial advertising, informational announcements, and political tracts;
- solicited e-mail that contains material that otherwise violates this Policy;
- any e-mail that falsifies the address or other information for the purpose of concealing the sender’s or recipient’s identity;
- any harassing e-mail, whether through language, frequency, or size of messages;
- any e-mail “chain letters” or other “pyramid schemes”;
- e-mail relayed without the express permission of that site, service, system or network;
- e-mailing the same or similar messages sent to one or more newsgroups (also known as “cross-posting” or “multiple posting”);
- e-mail containing false or misleading statements, claims, or representations; and
- forging header information including, but not limited to, any attempt to circumvent the approval process for posting to a moderated newsgroup.
User must use the Services and products in a manner that, in CVI’s sole judgment, is consistent with the purposes of such Services and Products. User shall not resell any of the Services or Products without the prior written consent of CVI. User shall not engage in any acts that restrict or inhibit any person, whether a User of CVI or otherwise, from use or enjoyment of any of the Services. User shall contact CVI if the User is unsure whether a particular use or action is permitted.
Copper Valley Internet will comply with all laws regarding illegal use of our Internet service. Customer information such as billing records/service addresses can and will be provided to include real time surveillance if directed by law enforcement per an appropriate court order or subpoena. No information will be provided without a court order or subpeona.
User shall use software only in accordance with the end User license agreement accompanying the software.
Violations of this Policy
CVI does not intend to actively monitor the content of web sites, e-mail, news groups, or other materials created or accessible over its services. CVI, however, reserves the right to monitor such services. Violations of this Policy may result in temporary suspension or permanent termination of service, demand for removal of offending material, blocked access, or any other action CVI deems appropriate to address the violation.
In no event will CVI be liable to any User or third party for any direct, indirect, special or other consequential damages for actions taken pursuant to this Policy, including, but not limited to, any lost profits, business interruption, loss of programs or other data, or otherwise, even if CVI was advised of the possibility of such damages.
CVI is not responsible for the content of the Services, including any user posting or transmitted e-mail.
CVI requests that anyone who believes that there is a violation of this AUP or who would like to register a complaint regarding abusive conduct report to us using one or more of the following methods:
- By FAX to (907) 835-2387, ATTN: CVS Manager
- By mail to:
- CVS Manager
P.O. Box 337
Valdez, AK 99686By E-mail to: Support
Each complaint must include a valid return address. CVI must be able to independently verify each instance of abuse, and so, if available, please include in your complaint the following:
- The IP address used to commit the alleged violation.
- The date and time of such violation.
Evidence of the violation including, if applicable, the complete text of the objectionable message, including all headers. Please do NOT send excerpted parts of a message; sending a copy of the entire message, including headers, helps to prevent misunderstandings based on incomplete information, or information used out of context. Full headers demonstrate which path the message has taken, and may enable us to determine whether any part of the message has been forged.
User must use the Services and Products in a manner that, in CVI’s sole judgment, is consistent with the purposes of such Services and Products. CVI may, in its sole discretion, suspend or terminate the provision of the Services or Products to the User or any part thereof for violation of any of the Policy at any time and without warning.
INDIRECT OR ATTEMPTED VIOLATIONS OF THIS POLICY, AND ACTUAL OR ATTEMPTED VIOLATIONS BY A THIRD PARTY USING THE ACCOUNT OF A CVI USER, SHALL BE CONSIDERED A VIOLATION OF THIS POLICY BY SUCH CUSTOMER OR USER.
CVI may bring legal action to enjoin violations and/or collect damages cause by violations of this Policy.